NDT is looking for an:
Nederlands Dans Theater (NDT) is a unique contemporary dance company based in The Hague, The Netherlands that explores a wide range of contemporary movement. From cutting-edge neo-classical to the most physical of dance theatre, NDT is a company where dancers work in a diverse repertoire, which in turn has created a modern signature, rooted in the principles of ballet, that is admired across the world.
NDT prides itself on cultivating dancers as artists. With access to the widest range of dance vocabularies, the company allows the dancers to fully develop their artistic personalities through the extensive repertoire, unparalleled to any other company of its kind.
NDT consists of two companies, NDT 1 and NDT 2. Together they create around ten new works per season and perform around 160-180 shows per season of which 70 outside of
The Netherlands. The company has a distinct choreographic and international profile and is a pioneer in focusing on talent development within the company.
NDT is one of the few dance companies that invites so many choreographers on an annual basis, providing them the opportunity to create new works with a virtuoso modern dance company. The presence of established as well as upcoming choreographers leads to creative cross-pollinations of memorable ballets of the highest quality.
As of the summer 2020, the Supervisory Board of NDT is looking for an inspiring successor for the position of Artistic Director.
The Artistic Director is responsible for conceiving, developing, and implementing the artistic vision of the organization, and for major decisions on the continuing development of the company’s artistic values and activities. Together with the Business Director (BD), the Artistic Director comprises the Executive Board of NDT.
- To conceive, develop and implement the artistic program for NDT 1 according to the artistic profile of the company;
- To give shape to the artistic program for NDT 2, together with the artistic leader of NDT 2;
- To stay up to date with the latest developments in the national and international dance field and other artistic disciplines;
- To secure the preservation of the company’s DNA while inspired, and willing, to make new engagements;
- To supervise the following departments: NDT 1 and NDT 2, the artistic team, consisting of ballet masters, teachers, coaches and planners;
- To lead the artistic team to ensure dancers and choreographers are provided with an environment best suited to their creative development;
- To create a team of teachers, balletmasters and coaches to support the dancers at all levels, and to guide them through their career within NDT;
- To search for new dancers together with the artistic leader of NDT 2;
- To develop choreographers from within the company and to be able to attract new choreographers from outside the company;
- To work with the Artistic Coordinator & Producer to safeguard the coherency between the overall artistic planning and the overall planning of NDT;
- To engage the Management Team together with the Business Director (BD) to create and implement a strategy according to the long term artistic vision;
- To play a key role regarding production matters for décor, music and costumes and to secure agreements with Company Management, according to the organization’s strategy;
- To manage and monitor the agreed artistic annual budgets;
- To represent the company and be available for marketing and fundraising goals;
- To introduce regular evaluation to create efficiency within the departments;
- To be involved in the educational and outreach programmes of NDT.
What we are looking for
- an inspiring leader who can further strenghthen NDT’s position as a prominent local, national and international cultural enterprise;
- a driven and unique individual, recognized as top in the field of dance;
- strong ambition and high level of competence and experience, with a vast knowledge of international contemporary dance and ballet;
- to create and/or present work of the highest quality from different artists from all over the world;
- thorough understanding of dance in relation to society and to other art forms;
- the ambition to nurture artistic freedom within the scope of NDT’s vision;
- focus on talent development by giving young professionals a chance to become dansers and choreografers of international repute;
- willingness to share the art and passion for dance and to represent NDT worldwide;
- ability to develop a clear and critical vision and to express one’s thoughts in a convincing manner.
The ability to:
- Work in an environment with a flexible structure;
- Multi-task and troubleshoot;
- Handle irregular working hours;
- Listen and be a team-player.
How to apply:
We look forward to receiving your letter and résumé before 12th of April, 2019. Please send them to to DUX International, Executive Search for the attention of Karin Doeksen via info(at)duxinternational.com