Sol León joined NDT 2 after graduating from the National Ballet Academy of Madrid in 1987. Two years later she joined NDT 1 and danced in masterpieces of Jiří Kylián, Hans van Manen, Mats Ek and Ohad Naharin. León continued to dance up until 2003, when she decided to fully devote herself to choreography, together with Paul Lightfoot. León became Artistic Advisor of NDT in 2012.
León and Lightfoot have been a choreographer's duo since 1989 and together they have created more than fifty pieces for the company, for which they received prestigious awards. In 2002 León and Lightfoot were appointed house choreographers for NDT.
Awards & Honours
- Incentive Prize for Choreography of the Amsterdam Art Prize for Seconds
- Nomination Laurence Olivier Award for Best Dance Production of the Year for SH-Boom (1994)
- Lucas Hoving Prize 1994 (for Paul Lightfoot)
- Incentive Prize Choreography 1997 of Stichting Dansersfonds ’79 (for Paul Lightfoot)
- VSCD Golden Theatre Dance Prize 2002 (for Paul Lightfoot)
- Merit Award 2003 of Stichting Dansersfonds’79 (for Sol León)
- VSCD Dance Award ‘Zwaan’ for best dance production 2003-2004 for Shutters Shut and Subject to Change
- Benois de la Danse 2005 for Signing Off
- Herald Archangel, Edinburgh International Festival 2006
- VSCD Dance Award ‘Zwaan’ for best dance production 2005-2006 for Shoot the Moon
In season 2017-2018 both new creations as well as an existing work by León & Lightfoot will be performed in the programmes Side A: Split into One (NDT 1), Sum Thoughts (NDT 2) en Savoir Faire (NDT 1).